The Future Investigation. Dance As a Crime, could be (un)commited.
by Olga Sorokina
- As the future of dance, especially what we name as “contemporary”, so unclear – I’d propose the method, used for the crime investigation as method of Father Brow, described by Gilbert Keith Chesterton.
“The secret is,” he said; and then stopped as if unable to go on. Then he began again and said:
“You see, it was I who killed all those people.”
“What?” repeated the other, in a small voice out of a vast silence.
“You see, I had murdered them all myself,” explained Father Brown patiently. “So, of course, I knew how it was done.”
Grandison Chace had risen to his great height like a man lifted to the ceiling by a sort of slow explosion. Staring down at the other he repeated his incredulous question.
“I had planned out each of the crimes very carefully,” went on Father Brown, “I had thought out exactly how a thing like that could be done, and in what style or state of mind a man could really do it. And when I was quite sure that I felt exactly like the murderer myself, of course I knew who he was.”
In our case I’d propose to imagine us being an audience let’s say – in 20 years. Those, who come to watch something; those, who maybe write… those who by some reason making a choice to go and to watch)
- if to think about the approximation from the present tome, we could discover that the “present” has a gab different with the “past” also on information field. Because of media it so incredible wide, that it’s already impossible to know “everything” even in a narrow sphere. To become professional it’s asked to reduce the curiosity (my students answered to the question about arts etc. – that they don’t have a time for it); so there are not so many mathematicians in dance)))) 100 years ago was much more))
- my country is very different with any European. One huge difference is that it’s HUGE))) even because of this it couldn’t be governed the same way as – let’s say – Netherlands. One of the feelings is that nothing really depends on your single vote, until you wouldn’t attract thousands of thousands) the second – that we never had any democratic government in our country (by many reason: we believe more in religious insight, then in pure honesty; more in fool – younger son, then in rich and clever older son (see our fairytales), in repentant robber. We had a corruption from the time of Prince Igor – 7th Sentury) We are still Orthodox, and never had being a Protestants)
- And we hade a Russian revolution of 1917. That time, from March 1917, as an exclusion, we had a democratic government – the “Provisional government”, elected, consisted by honest people, with a big experience of management, widely educated (each of them had university degree, many of them even a few degrees in different departments, some of them – academic degree), they had a profession and after all, in emigration, made their living from that. But they lost. The situation in country was very hard, and very possible that that task didn’t have any solution. BUT the socialists didn’t know about it). They were weak educated (most of them had one year or less in University because they where kicked out), they didn’t have any serious profession – they where “professional revolutionists”, they made their livings from very unclear sources – very possible, that from German secret service). They didn’t had any experience not in govern, not in management, because they spend years in jail and abroad – in Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany etc. But they won. They not only took the power in October 1917, but they kept it for 70 (!) years. They didn’t know that that task don’t have a right solution, and they took a wrong solution, but it was a possible solution. (it’s used in Operation theory in mathematics). They didn’t know that that was wrong, they didn’t take care about honesty, but what they had – is a flame faith to world socialist revolution, to the happiness it brings for the humans, to the beauty and richness, they would build on the ruins of the old world. They strictly believed in the people’s will and their self-organization ability. But what happen, when soldiers, peasants and workers took a freedom? Instead of self-organization came a horrible wave of violence, looting and robbery, hunger and death. People went back to discipline only under the treat of a very strict action as shooting.
But crowd of Russian intelligent people hardly greeted the socialists and the revolution, they honestly believed in wise of folk as well as in wise of nature. But what the folk have done with them?.. in the best case they were sent out of country to emigration, in the worst – were robed and killed.
- I very afraid to see any likeness with the present situation with a refuges in Europe. But I see that refuges have a strong will to survive. They have own strong culture, big and very supportive families, most of them have a faith. They don’t have no modern, no postmodern, no contemporary dance and, I afraid, they don’t need this – al least they think so. Do we have all of this? Is that not so, that Europeans believe, that refuges will self-organize, they will work, they will treat the volunteers in a nice way, they will go back one day and that what they write in the immigration form – is all the true? And they have children, quite many.
- So, if to use a “father Brown method… let’s imagine ourselves, going to watch a dance piece in 20 years) Who we are? Young Muslim? Old granny? Who are around? What would they dance, as it attracted our attention so last that we going to make a choice to go and to watch? Are there any youngsters or kids? What they are doing?
- If to think about the “omelet strategy”, what couldn’t be done without breaking the eggs… I think that if to keep some eggs under the hen, then we’d have a hope to have chickens who would give more eggs. That mean that we could still teach children and youth classical, modern, folklore and all kind of dance legacy. Teach own kids, but that mean that we have to have them)) teach them even if they don’t wont (once I asked my students: do they think, is the education without compulsion possible? They ALL (about 150 pers) answered that NO. ) To bury the treasure. To build the Ark. To implant the our civilization heritage (not only in dance, but in arts and sciences as well) until we still have anything to inherit.